Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Long distance relationship- want to move back in together, but don't want to go where the other is.. advice?

Okay.. My boyfriend and I briefly broke up in January, and I moved home to my parents, 600 miles away, in Pennsylvania. We got back together, and we've been maintaining a long-distance relationship since. We want to move back in together- question is, where.





We lived in Maine together. The economy blows- we both worked the best jobs we could find, and barely made ends meet, sometimes living without food, heat or electricity. I was constantly terrified that something would go wrong, or we'd get evicted, or sick.. He had deep roots, there, though, and really dosen't want to leave. At all. His land has been in the family for four generations, and he wants to live his life there.





There is a better economy here, and chances to live a good life, but I'm not particularly attached to it, (outside of it being where my family is) and I know he'd hate it here.





So I could use some advice.. what do we do? Do I convince him to move here, where he wouldn't be happy, but we could build a life and thrive, or do I go back to Maine and risk living the way we were before? There dosen't seem to be much of a compromise. Any advice would help- thanks!Long distance relationship- want to move back in together, but don't want to go where the other is.. advice?
I know you are not going to like this answer but I'm going to be honest with you. If neither one of you will compromise you just shouldn't' do it. You would have nothing but problems later on and end up resenting each other if you push one another. By no means do I think you should try and change him. Just as well as he shouldn't try and change you. He has sentimental value where he is at and that is nothing that can be replaced in his eyes. I do want you to understand that the saying ';love concords all'; should be thought of when making this decision though. If you want to be with him you should go. Money, no money, job, no job. I'll tell you this from experience. My boyfriend, now husband, got out of the military a month after I did. He went from the UK back to his home town. I unlike him had a great job already. Yet I gave it up and moved 800 miles away with him to a town that has absolutely nothing going for it. When I moved niter one of us had a job. We struggled at first but were able to eventually get our feet in the ground. Everyone thought I was crazy including myself when I told them what I was doing. The way I looked at it was... I could be absolutely miserable without him making tons of money or I can be happy making barely enough to live but with him. Looking back it was the best mistake I ever made. ;) Now we live in one of the best houses in this little town on nothingness and I won't move out of it till they come and take my carcase away. What can I say, the little girl from Jersey ended up loving the little town life ;)


Maybe the best bet for you is to continue the long distance relationship and eventually something will give... location or the relationship. Best of luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment